Sunday, November 30, 2008

Be present.

The 'present' is a gift.

It is no secret that dwelling on the past and worrying about the future causes us stress, sadness, guilt, regret and ultimately mild to severe depression. Too often we are stuck on a past event or looking too far into the future. In other words, not being in the 'now'.
When I am teaching yoga, I give many gentle verbal reminders during class to "Be present" to "Be here-now". One easy way to bring yourself into the present moment is to focus on your breathing. Allow yourself to feel the length of your inhalation and the quality of your exhalation. Filling and emptying the lungs completely not only brings the awareness to the breath, it brings you into the moment. Deep breathing is also good for you! Breathing deeply lowers your blood pressure which in turn slows your heart rate making you feel more calm and relaxed.
The idea of being truly present in our lives and liberated from our past and our future can transform our thinking.Can transform...your life. The result? More joy, right now!!
Namaste~Andrea

2 comments:

thekettrickfive said...

is that a new tattoo?

Amanda said...

Hey! I totally agree with you. Ever since I began reading your blog, I've run the mantra "be present" in my head many, many times.

I get too caught up in what I'm suppose to be doing, what I should be accomplishing, how productive my day "needs" to be. I especially worry about these things when I'm sitting on the couch with my daughter because she's requested some "snuggle time" when what I really need to do is BE PRESENT right then and there for my daughter and relish those snuggly times with her. What could be more important, really? And those times will be gone before I know it. I won't have solid memories of time spent with my kids if I don't stop, focus in and be present with them.

Thanks for this constant reminder! :)

Love ya!